Monday, June 18, 2012

Cooking lesson

I've always had a love of food and cooking so I figured while in Shanghai why not learn to cook like a local?  So, I asked my Ayi if she would be willing to teach me to cook Chinese food.  She had said she was a good cook when I interviewed her, she didn't lie.  She has cooked a couple of times for the kids when she babysat, but I've never been around to watch.  The last time she cooked it was homemade dumplings. Lucky for me and Lucas there were plenty of left overs.  Anyway, Ayi is going to cook lunch for us on Tuesday and Thursday.  Since she leaves at 4:30 dinner wouldn't have worked.  Eric, my Chinese teacher has offered to translate for me on Thursdays.  It works out for him too since he gets to stay for lunch. 




For today Ayi made pork dredged with sweet potato powder and cooked in oil with red onion, mushroom soy sauce, and a bit of sugar and chicken granules.  Shrimp cooked in oil with garlic and a bit of sugar and some mild green onions.  And, cucumber salad with carrots, red onion, garlic, and sugar.  All severed with rice.  It was all very good and I can't wait for Thursdays lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment