Sunday, July 15, 2012

A quiet Sunday

We had planned on spending the weekend in Suzhou, unfortunately Lucas was sick Friday night and all day Saturday so we were forced to postpone the trip.  It rained all day Saturday and with Lucas staying in bed we just lounged around the house and ordered take out for dinner.  Today Lucas was feeling better and the rain actually chased away much of the humidity so we decided to take advantage of that and spend some time outside walking the Bund.  We've been to the Bund before but there is so much to see and do there. 
We walked along most of what is considered the Bund and enjoyed the many different architecture styles that the Bund is known for.  One of the many attractions along the Bund is a 5 meter high statue of Shanghai's first mayor Chen Yi.  Of course another is the cityscape of downtown Pudong and it's many famous, and internationally known buildings.  From the Bund we walked down Nanjing road, famous for its shops, both high end and bargain basement, and of course the pedestrian mall. Along the way you can find street vendors selling all kinds of on the go snacks on sticks like hot dogs, chicken, and octopus.  We decided the kids would enjoy some watermelon on a stick and passed on the octopus. 

I finally bought us a nice set of chopsticks at a well known shop that sells cheap ones from just a few bucks to ones that cost over a hundred dollars.  I settled for a nice set of sandalwood chopsticks with rests for about $30.  I will probably go back for a second set since it was only a set of five and hardly enough to host a proper Chinese dinner party.  They also had some nice wood rice bowls that I wouldn't mind adding to my kitchen.  

Today I also celebrated my twelve wedding anniversary!  We had a family style celebratory dinner at the Blue Frog, a favorite of ours.  Lily had to get the pasta off the adult menu same as Daddy, but I'm not complaining because she ate the green beans that came with it.  After that it was over to the bakery for some very yummy deserts!

To my wonderful husband; we've had our ups and downs, luckily more ups than downs, you enrich my life, and keep things from ever getting boring.  You keep me on my toes and challenge me to be a better person.  You are my best friend, and the father of my two wonderful children, I couldn't ask for a better partner in life.  The last twelve years have been one hell of a ride, I'm looking forward to many, many, more!  I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary to you both. You two certainly have had a great ride these first 12 years... The NC State years helped you both build character, then the beginning days at BASF and the temporary move to PA, with the world's worst rental experience back in Raleigh... finding my long lost cousin living within a few miles after so many years wondering where he disappeared to... then on to NJ and closer to family (yeah!). And now you're living in China, making memories that you'll have for the rest of your lives. And how about those two beautiful children!

    I'm so proud of you both.

    ReplyDelete